With Thanksgiving just around the corner, I’ve seized the opportunity to eat arduous amounts of food and have made my first turkey feast of the year (one can never have too many feasts with a giant bird as a centerpiece). And with any turkey feast, inevitably comes the stuffing. While the word “stuffing” suggests that it should be stuffed inside the bird to roast, I always enjoy serving it separately so as to not have to deal with over-roasting the thigh and under-roasting the breast. This stuffing recipe is one of my go-tos, the dried apricots and cranberries adds sweetness to the dish, and the tartness from the apples brings a refreshing zing to a rich meal. To mitigate the lack of turkey flavour brought about by a lack of stuffing of the stuffing, turkey juice/dripping/stock (whatever you like to call it) is added to the stuffing at the end to supercharge the dish with some turkey pizzazz.
Apricot, Sausage and Apple Stuffing
- 4 cups cubed white ciabatta bread
- 1 ¾ cups cubed whole wheat bread roll
- 1 pound ground sausage (mixed with 2 tsp each of fresh sage & thyme, chopped)
- 1 turkey liver, cooked and finely chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- ¾ cup celery, chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh sage, chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme
- 1 golden delicious apple, cored and chopped
- ½ cup dried apricots, chopped
- ¼ Cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 3/4 cup turkey drippings (approx.)
The Fun Part:
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F (175 degree C). Spread both bread cubes in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Bake for 5 to 7 minutes in the preheated oven, or until evenly toasted. Transfer toasted bread cubes to a large bowl.
- Mix ground sausage with 2 tsp of fresh sage and 2 tsp thyme, let sit for 5 mins.
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage, turkey liver and onions over medium heat, stirring and breaking up the lumps until evenly browned. Add the celery, sage, rosemary, and thyme; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes to blend flavors. Take out cooked turkey liver and set aside.
- Pour sausage mixture over bread in bowl. Chop turkey liver and mix into the bread mixture together with apples, dried fruits, and parsley. Drizzle with enough turkey drippings to soften the toasted bread cubes without making it soggy, and mix gently.
- Serve as is, or wait till stuffing is cool to stuff the turkey.