With American thanksgiving coming up, I thought of making something warm and festive, befitting the late Autumn festivities. This cookie is a favourite of mine, the wonderful flavours remind me of a cozy Autumn day: wrapped in a warm blanket, cookie in one hand, tea in another, sitting by the window watching the auburn leaves fall. The mix of ginger, nutmeg and molasses, along with the chewy center reminds me of a chewy gingersnap cookie. Yet, the raw sugar on the outside provides that much needed crunch, and a hint of burnt caramel that puts the proverbial cherry on top of this delicious spiced sundae. Enjoy!
Chewy Spiced Autumn Cookies
Makes: 30 medium sized cookies
- 3/4 C Unsalted Butter (softened a bit in room temperature)
- 1 C sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 C molasses
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/4 C All Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon (ground)
- 1 tsp cloves (ground)
- 1 tsp ginger (ground)
- 3/4 C raw sugar (or any large granule sugar)
The Fun Part:
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cream butter and sugar together with a mixer until light yellow and fluffy. Add remaining wet ingredients and mix until just blended.
- Add dry ingredients and mix. The cookie dough should not be too sticky and can handled easily by hand. Add a bit more flour if dough is too sticky.
- Shape dough into one inch balls and roll in sugar and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Leave about 1.5 inches in between cookie dough balls as cookies will spread as it bakes.
- Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet in oven for 10 minutes at middle rack. Do not over-bake or cookies will become dry!
- Once out the oven, allow cookie to cool on cookie sheet for about 5 minutes, then transfer to a cookie rack to complete cool-down. The cookie should be extremely soft and easily tearable when first out the oven.
- Optional: Make a chewy ginger cookie ice-cream sandwich by adding half a cup of your favourite ice cream in the middle! (I enjoy mixing vanilla ice cream with some candied pecans as a ginger cookie ice-cream sandwich filling).